By Chris Stewart
How strange is it, particularly, within the heritage of all recognized human event, to benefit from the advantages of dwelling free?
The solution could shock you. In The Miracle of Freedom, Chris and Ted Stewart make a robust case that fewer than five percentage of everybody who've ever lived on this planet have lived lower than stipulations that lets ponder loose. So the place did freedom come from, and the way are we lucky adequate to event it in our day?
A deeper examine the human list, write the authors, unearths a sequence of severe occasions, noticeable forks within the highway resulting in very assorted results, that ended in this amazing interval during which we are living. They establish and speak about seven decisive tipping points:
1. The defeat of the Assyrians of their quest to damage the dominion of Judah
2. The victory of the Greeks over the Persians at Thermopylae and Salamis
three. Roman Emperor Constantine's conversion to Christianity
four. The defeat of the armies of Islam at Poitiers
five. The failure of the Mongols of their attempt to overcome Europe
6. the invention of the hot World
7. The conflict of england in global conflict II
the adventure to freedom has been hundreds of thousands of years lengthy. Now that it has discovered its position on this planet, the query for these people who event its merits is just this: can we paintings to maintain the miracle of freedom that we take pleasure in this day?
Read Online or Download 7 Tipping Points That Saved the World PDF
Similar christianity books
The Judas short demanding situations the elemental Gospel idea that a minimum of a few prime Jews performed a key position in having Jesus completed. writer Gary Greenberg presents an in depth exam of all Gospel money owed of opposed interplay among Jesus and the Jews, with precise awareness to the Gospel money owed of the Jewish and Roman trials of Jesus.
This learn of non secular swap and cultural fragmentation in modern Sri Lanka makes a speciality of a sequence of recent Catholic shrines that allure hundreds of thousands of pilgrims. Their reputation is predicated, between different issues, on their efficacy as facilities for demonic exorcism, assuaging pain and assisting humans to discover jobs.
Ebook by way of Schlabach, Gerald W.
David Hempton’s background of the colourful interval among 1650 and 1832 engages with a really worldwide tale: that of Christianity not just in Europe and North the USA, but in addition in Latin the USA, Africa, Russia and japanese Europe, India, China, and South-East Asia. analyzing eighteenth-century spiritual proposal in its refined nationwide and social contexts, the writer relates the narrative of the Church to the increase of non secular enthusiasm pioneered via Pietists, Methodists, Evangelicals, and Revivalists, and by way of vital leaders like August Hermann Francke, Jonathan Edwards, and John Wesley.
- Works of Love (Kierkegaard's Writings, Volume 16)
- Habermas and Theology
- Memory, Tradition, And Text: Uses of the Past in Early Christianity
- Faith as an Option: Possible Futures for Christianity (Cultural Memory in the Present)
- The First Paul: Reclaiming the Radical Visionary Behind the Church’s Conservative Icon
Additional resources for 7 Tipping Points That Saved the World
Many scholars confidently assert that it was the Greeks who gave birth to these beliefs, which were then nourished by Christianity in such a way as to make possible modern-day concepts of freedom and democracy. Rodney Stark, one of the most notable authorities of the impact of Christianity upon Western thinking, has written extensively on the subject. In one of his several books on the subject, he explains: While the other world religions emphasized mystery and intuition, Christianity alone embraced reason and logic as the primary guide to religious truth.
The actual numbers might be much lower than this. Which is, as Dr. ” Even more surprising is the fact that freedom is a relatively unstable marvel. For example, in a recent work, Yale professor Robert Dahl could identify only twenty-two nations with a democracy older than fifty years. Think about that! Even now, when most of us consider free will and self-government as the norm, there are only twenty-two nations that have lived under a democratic form of government for even a single lifetime. )7 What Do We Mean By “Democracy” and “Freedom”?
20. ” Chapter 1 Two Gods at War As for Hezekiah the Judahite, who did not submit to my yoke: forty-six of his strong, walled cities, as well as the small towns in their area, which were without number, by leveling with battering-rams and by bringing up siege-engines, and by attacking and storming on foot, by mines, tunnels, and breeches, I besieged and took them. 200,150 people, great and small, male and female, horses, mules, asses, camels, cattle and sheep without number, I brought away from them and counted as spoil.
7 Tipping Points That Saved the World by Chris Stewart